3101023 - Plant Propagation
Plant propagation is the process of growing new plants. Take an in-depth exploration of the the methods of propagation and the conditions for growing a variety of plants. You will examine techniques and requirements for seed production, cuttings, division, grafting, budding and layering.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify plant structures and how they are involved in propagation
- Apply the best treatments and storage conditions for successful seed germination
- Illustrate the procedures for a successful rooted cutting
- Demonstrate the procedures for a successful graft
- Select the correct propagation method for plants based on their characteristics
- Apply the principles and techniques of plant propagation to the commercial horticulture industry
- Sexual Propagation – Introduction and Flowering and Floral Development
- Pollination & Seed Development
- Propagation from Seed
- Asexual Propagation – Introduction and Types of Asexual Propagation
- Stem Cuttings
- Leaf & Root Cuttings
- Propagation from Modified Stems
- Division and Layering
- Tissue Culture & Micropropagation
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Nursery Production and Plant Propagation complete an area of focus in Nursery Production.
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Plant Propagation (310-0016).
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Horticulture Certificate : Elective Courses
- Horticulture Diploma : Elective Courses
- Landscape Design Diploma : Elective Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.