3101026 - Theory and Principles of Sustainable Urban Agriculture and Sustainable Urban Horticulture
Focus on the growth of healthy environments in an urban context. Explore the many ways to achieve a sustainable agricultural system whether a small backyard, rooftop garden or a small farm that can help build a local food secure community. There has been a fundamental change in how we think about food today; the consumer is ever more interested in how our food is produced, by who and where. It is important to recognize that the way that we grow food is interconnected to our water sources, the air we all breathe, and what we eat.
Food sovereignty, global food systems and food safety, soil health, seed saving, growing practices, market opportunities and business development strategies are all explored in this course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify ways to promote sustainable agriculture and horticulture
- Expand your present understanding of biological systems in agriculture
- Gain some cultural knowledge of individual crops and their importance in food security
- Understand the relationships of soil, water, insects and weeds in various agriculture systems
- Sustainability and the Global Food Crisis
- Application of Sustainability-Based Systems
- Geography and Bioregionalism
- Trends, Markets and Economics
- Production Values of Soil and Crops
- Soil Health and Management
- Beneficial Insects and Weeds
If you are taking this course with the intention of achieving the Horticulturist Diploma, you must complete the Horticulturist Certificate prior to course enrolment.
If you are taking this course with the intention of achieving the Sustainable Urban Agriculture Certificate and or Sustainable Urban Horticulture Certificate, there are no prerequisites.
|Assignment 1: Comparison of 3 Projects||25%|
|Assignment 2: Setting Project Goals||10%|
|Assignment 3: Site Selection and Inventory||20%|
|Assignment 4: Project Planning||20%|
|Assignment 5: Site Planning||25%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Sustainable Urban Agriculture Certificate : Required Courses
- Sustainable Urban Horticulture Certificate : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.