3101029 - Fundamentals of the Role of Plants in Urban Sustainability
Engage in discussions and investigations into the important connections that people have with the world of plants, and assess the value of plants in the long term sustainability of the urban landscape. Explore the impact of domestication of wild plants from many angles including agriculture, medicine, and aesthetics. Historical accounts of plant use will be balanced with current 21st century connections that describe the use and abuse of green spaces in our urban landscapes and the destruction of plant ecosystems around the world.
Urban community gardeners, co-operative association members, municipal planners, and environmental advocates wishing to identify the potentials and constraints for gardens in the urban environment are well-suited participants for this course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explore and determine the interconnectivity of plants and people (ethno-botany) both historically and in the modern urban environment
- Discuss the role of plants in the advancement of sustainability with urban planners and decision makers
- Defend the importance of urban horticulture and urban agriculture in terms of societal well-being
- Recognize biodiversity in specific urban settings
- Identify opportunities for ornamental and agricultural gardens in an urban environment
- Advocate for the inclusion of more green space
- Demonstrate the critical need for both children and adults to interact with nature
- Describe plant and landscape attributes which could increase property values
- How We Arrived at the Discussion
- Plants as Indicators of Prosperity
- Healing Power - Herbals to Modern Medicine
- Back to Nature - The Psychological Impact of Plants in Our Lives
- All Life Needs Plants - Biodiversity in Urban Environments
- Ethno-Botany in the 21st Century - Going Full Circle
|Online Discussions (5)||40%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Sustainable Urban Agriculture Certificate : Required Courses
- Sustainable Urban Horticulture Certificate : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.