Agricultural Plant Selection for Urban Gardens discusses the identification of edible annual, biennial, perennial, herbaceous and woody horticultural plants. A summary of crop specific cultural practices, harvest guidelines and potential insect and disease problems provides the skills needed to grow each crop.
Urban community gardeners, co-operative associations, municipal planners and environmental advocates wishing to identify the potentials and constraints for gardens in the urban environment.
By the end of the semester you should be able to:
- Critically evaluate sustainability in the context of urban agricultural practices
- Select an optimal urban site, within the constraints imposed by the urban condition, suitable for agricultural production
- Evaluate, identify and pursue niche market options for urban agriculture
- Identify the major food producing plant families commonly found in temperate zone growing areas
- Select appropriate plant species for urban agricultural growing areas that will allow for sustainable production
- Evaluate the sustainable production characteristics of different crops
- Critically evaluate the validity of crop production information obtained from various sources
- Know how to source seed and other propagation material for crops discussed in this course.
- Sustainability and Urban Agriculture
- Urban agricultural scenarios - Backyard Greenhouse, Rooftop Gardens, Balcony Gardens, Boulevard Gardens/Brownfield Gardens, Backyard Gardens, Suburban Greenspace, Community Gardens
- Niche Markets - Finding and developing niche markets for your urban agricultural produce
- Selecting Plants for Urban and Niche Markets
- Sourcing propagation material for your urban agricultural location
(Topics subject to change.)
|Quizzes (6)||5% (2), 10% (3), 15%|
|Assignments (3)||15% each|
College: Ontario Agricultural College
Department: Department of Plant Agriculture
External: Royal Botanical Gardens
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Sustainable Urban Agriculture Certificate : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.