Human resources are the most important assets in organizations today. This course provides an overview of the theory and practice of the human resources management function in an organization. Human resources management and issues are examined from the perspective of the organization (employer) as well as from the viewpoint of the human resources professional, managers, supervisors and employees of the organization. Human Resources Administration is the introductory course in this diploma program and is recommended to be completed early in the course of study.
Those interested in obtaining their Diploma in Human Resources Management and/or Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation, and others interested in human resources management.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Explain the theories and concepts of human resources management in a wide variety of organizations and sectors.
- Describe organizational processes and structures that comprise human resources functions, such as strategic planning, job analysis and design, recruitment and selection, performance management, orientation and training, health and safety, labour relations, compensation and benefits, legal compliance, diversity, and the strategic role of Human Resources in the organization.
- Evaluate the role of Human Resources professionals in developing organizational strategy and policies, leadership development, organizational learning, creativity and innovation.
- Examine and evaluate the values required for ethical decision-making relating to human resources practices.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply human resources theory in resolving typical organizational problems.
- Designing and Analyzing Jobs
- Human Resources Planning
- Recruitment and Selection
- Orientation and Training
- Career Development
- Performance Management and Strategic Pay Plans
- Employee Benefits and Services
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Labour Relations
- Managing Human Resources in a Global Business
Sample CareersHuman Resources Manager, Human Resources Consultant, Human Resources Generalist
Class Participation 20%
Research Project 30%
Mid Term Exam 25%
Final Exam 25%
Department: Open Learning and Educational Support
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in Human Resources Management : Required Courses