This course will provide participants with an understanding of the processes used to assess training needs, design and administer training and development programs and evaluate the effectiveness of such programs. The primary aim of this introductory course is to ensure development of a comprehensive understanding of how the training and development function fits into both the overall mandate of human resources management and the larger environmental and organizational contexts. A secondary objective of the course is to provide students with the knowledge, skills and abilities to determine training and development needs and then to design, deliver and evaluate the effectiveness of training and development programs.
Those working toward the U of G Diploma in Human Resources Management, CHRP professional designation and people working in or who wish to work in Human Resources or Training and Development.
Upon successful completion of course, students will be able to:
- Describe the theories and concepts of training and development in large and small Canadian organizations, unionized and non-unionized workplaces, private, public and non-profit sectors.
- Define terms and describe practices that ensure the training and development function adds value to the organization, such as: the role of training and development in human resources management, principles of adult learning; training needs assessment; training objectives; instructional methods and techniques; program design and evaluation; special needs training, management of the training function; emerging trends in training and development.
- Explore various learning models, methods, techniques, and skills utilized to ensure transfer of learning among individuals and teams, employee development and knowledge creation in the organization.
- Develop skills in synthesis and analysis of training and development theory and the ability to apply such theory in resolving typical training problems posed in case studies, simulations, exercises, application assignments and discussion questions.
- Examine and evaluate ethical and legal issues associated with effective delivery and management of training in the organization, through discussion and examination of case studies, application assignments and emerging current events.
- Evaluate the role and involvement of training professionals in organizational strategy and competitiveness, leadership development, inclusive management practices, diversity, organizational learning, creativity and innovation
- Training and Development Process
- Organizational Learning
- Adult Learning Theory
- Needs – Analysis
- Training Methods
- Instructional Design
- Learning Transference
- Accelerated Learning
Learning and Development Specialist, Human Resources Manager, Human Resources Generalist
Department: Open Learning and Educational Support
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in Human Resources Management : Required Courses