This course examines the processes, issues and techniques involved in developing and administering a compensation system. It examines the theoretical and applied aspects of the compensation function; the link between this function and the organizational management process; and the compensation system design necessary to attract, retain, and motivate the required workforce.
Those working towards their University of Guelph Diploma in Human Resources Management, Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation, PMCP and people working in or who wish to work in Human Resources or Payroll.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of the strategic framework of compensation.
- Explore the behavioral framework for compensation.
- Review the components of compensation including performance pay choices and how to formulate a reward and compensation strategy.
- Review the job evaluation process.
- Describe the Pay Equity Act and related processes and develop a pay equity compliant compensation system.
- Evaluate the labour market by analyzing data from compensation surveys and labour supply
- Review the performance management process and calculate performance pay
- Design and develop performance pay plans
- Design and develop indirect pay plans
- Implement and maintain an effective compensation system.
- Collecting and evaluating job information
- Managing job evaluations
- Determining pay levels
- Pay structures
- Pay discrimination
- Motivation and merit
- Managing pay/incentive plans
- Employee benefit plans
- Managing benefits and total compensation packages
Sample CareersCompensation and Benefits Specialist, Human Resources Generalist, Human Resources Manager
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in Human Resources Management : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.