1006003 - Research in Couple and Family Therapy
Develop your capacity for research in the field of marriage and family therapy. Through an examination of both qualitative and quantitative research, you will be better equipped to make research a user-friendly and relevant part of your clinical practice.
Prior knowledge of statistics or research design is helpful but not required.
This course is designed for counsellors, therapists, social workers, mental health workers, and pastoral/faith-based and other practitioners seeking to build or enhance their practical skills and theoretical foundation in couple and family therapy, as well as those exploring therapy as a career.
This course is typically recognized by CAMFT and AAMFT as a research course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Research literature in the field of couple and family therapy relevant to your current clinical practice
- Demonstrate analytical skills for reading, evaluating and critiquing research in couple and family therapy
- Apply research in couple and family therapy to your clinical practice
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Utilize qualitative, quantitative and mixed methodologies to develop your own research in the field of couple and family therapy through exercises in class
- Continue to use research to inform your practice on an ongoing basis
Job Market Overview
- Prerequisite course: Theories and Methods of Family Therapy: Foundations of the Field.
- Note: If you wish to take the course but have not completed the prerequisites, please contact our main office.
- As well as scheduled instruction time, you can expect to spend approximately five to ten hours per week on course readings, activities, and/or assignments.
- Course assignments are completed up to four weeks following the final day of the course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.