Become familiar with the theories and methods of couple therapy through a review of selected couple therapy models. Each model will be examined in terms of its concepts of health, assumptions, goals, assessment features and interventions. The course will also look at some of the key issues and problems that are often presented to couple therapists.
This course is designed for counsellors, therapists, social workers, mental health workers, and pastoral/faith-based and other practitioners seeking to build or enhance their practical skills and theoretical foundation in couple and family therapy, as well as those exploring therapy as a career.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the theory and methods utilized by various couple therapy models, including Object Relations Couple Therapy, Cognitive and Behavioural Couple Therapy, Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy, and Gottman, and Narrative Couple Therapy
- Compare and contrast each model's concepts of health, change, assessment, therapy process and intervention methods
- Identify key issues and problems confronted by couple therapists, as well as indications and contraindications for couple therapy
- Context, Healthy Relationships, Love and Conflict, Theory Overview
- Psychodynamic, Transgenerational, Cognitive Behavioural and Systemic Couple Therapy Approaches
- Emotion Centered and Social Constructionist Approaches
- Depression, Separation/Divorce, Violence, Presentations
- Presentations, Model Dialogue, Enrichment, Forgiveness, Endings
Prerequisite course: Theories and Methods of Family Therapy: Foundations of the Field
Note: If you wish to take the course but have not completed the prerequisite, please email Beverley Fretz, manager, program development.
|Group Discussion Response Paper||30%|
|Applied Couple Therapy Approach Presentation||40%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Advanced Certificate in Couple and Family Therapy Studies : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.