This course introduces the major theories and central concepts that formed the beginning foundations of family therapy. The course will focus on the historical development of systemic family therapy and introduce the following models of family therapy: Bowenian, Contextual, Structural, Strategic, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and Experiential. A comparative analysis of the various models will assist students in placing the various family therapy tools into an integrated framework. This is an interactive course that uses a variety of teaching and learning processes, including exercises and discussion, in order to effectively translate theories into practical methods for contemporary family therapists. Participants should anticipate that many discussions and interactive methods will require reflection on personal experience.
This course is typically recognized by AAMFT as a Studies course.
Counsellors, therapists, social workers, mental health workers, pastoral care / faith-based, and other practitioners seeking to build or enhance their practical skills and theoretical foundation in couple and family therapy, as well as those exploring therapy as a career.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Critique the strengths and weaknesses of resources relevant to family therapy
- Identify the distinctiveness of the family therapy approaches studied
- Demonstrate increased awareness of one’s personal values and preferences regarding therapy and to explore the ways in which various models might be integrated into one’s own therapeutic repertoire
- Conceptualize clinical work via multiple lenses and develop appropriate treatment interventions
- Construct an integrative therapeutic treatment plan
|Class Participation (3% Per Class for Each of the 5 Classes)||15|
|Case Study Paper||40|
The course is offered jointly by the Ontario Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (OAMFT) and the University of Guelph, Open Learning and Educational Support (OpenEd).
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Couple and Family Therapy Studies : Required Courses