Become familiar with the major theories and central concepts that formed the beginning foundations of family therapy. Examine the historical development of systemic family therapy and the following models of family therapy: Bowenian, Contextual, Structural, Strategic, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and Experiential. A comparative analysis of the different models will assist you in placing the various family therapy tools into an integrated framework.
This interactive course uses a variety of teaching and learning processes—including exercises and discussion—in order to effectively translate theories into practical methods for contemporary family therapists. You should anticipate that many discussions and interactive methods will require reflection on personal experience.
This course is designed for counsellors, therapists, social workers, mental health workers, and pastoral care/faith-based and other practitioners seeking to build or enhance their practical skills and theoretical foundation in couple and family therapy, as well as those exploring therapy as a career.
This course is typically recognized by CAMFT and AAMFT as a studies course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Critique the strengths and weaknesses of resources relevant to family therapy
- Identify the distinctiveness of the family therapy approaches studied
- Demonstrate increased awareness of your personal values and preferences regarding therapy, and explore the ways in which various models might be integrated into your own therapeutic repertoire
- Conceptualize clinical work via multiple lenses and develop appropriate treatment interventions
- Construct an integrative therapeutic treatment plan
- As well as the in-class instruction, you can expect to spend approximately five to ten hours per week on course readings, activities, and/or assignments.
- Course assignments are completed up to four weeks following the final day of the course.
|Class Participation (3% per class for each of the 5 classes)||15%|
|Case Study Paper||40%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Advanced Certificate in Couple and Family Therapy Studies : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.