Develop your skills and knowledge of conducting effective negotiations and contract administration, and examining strategies, tactics, and behavioural rules used in the negotiation process. Discover how to effectively administer a collective agreement and strategies to maintain positive union and management relationships is provided.
The course utilizes a variety of active learning approaches, including discussions, case studies, and simulations to address labour relations topics, including negotiations, grievances, arbitrations, investigations, and progressive discipline.
While more broadly applicable, the course primarily draws on examples from an Ontario school board context. You are invited to apply your knowledge and experience while engaging in the learning
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the historical and current perspectives on the purpose and benefits of unions in the public and private sectors
- Implement strategies to prepare for, conduct and work towards agreement within the collective bargaining process
- Identify and demonstrate conflict management and problem-solving strategies
- Identify and apply key concepts and practices used to interpret and successfully administer collective agreements, including employee relations, grievances, investigations, discipline, and termination
- Understand and apply effective investigation strategies to guide decisions related to discipline, and termination within the framework of a collective agreement
The course topics include:
- Perspectives on the value of unions
- Canada’s labour laws
- Collective Bargaining
- School Boards Collective Bargaining Act, 2014
- Maintaining positive labour relations
- Conflict resolution and problem-solving
- Labour relations management challenges in Ontario
- Managing grievances
- Arbitration process
- Workplace investigations
- Progressive Discipline
|Individual Assignment: The Importance of Labour-Management Relations||5%|
|Mini Quizzes (3 x 5%)||15%|
|Group Assignment #1: Managing Sanctions||10%|
|Group Assignment #2: Maintaining Positive Labour-Management Relations||10%|
|Group Assignment #3: Managing a Harassment Allegation||10%|
|Group Assignment #4: Managing a Grievance Process||10%|
|Group Assignment #5: Investigations||10%|
|Group Assignment #6: Managing a Complex Multi-issue School Situation||10%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Human Resources Management for School Board Administration : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.