Enhance your written and oral business communication skills, and gain the skills to better meet the communication demands of your job. Topics include recognizing and working with different communication styles, employing key principles of effective business writing, effective meetings and presentations, communicating with an intergenerational audience, developing components of a communication plan, and integrating social media strategies into the communication strategy.
With an emphasis on real-life application and with a learn-by-doing approach, this highly interactive course will include presentations, whole class and small group discussions, individual exercises, and case studies for group activities and assessments.
While more broadly applicable, the course focuses on a public sector context and utilizes examples from pupil transportation in school board environments. Regardless of your background, you are invited to apply your knowledge and experience while engaging in the learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize and apply best practices in contemporary communications and social media.
- Identify different communication styles and adapt one’s approach accordingly.
- Develop a practical, workable communications plan that includes the core components of crisis and responsive communications.
- Comprehend and employ key rules for clear, concise, and consistent written and verbal communication.
- Review and practice key communication needs in pupil transportation (e.g., applications, exceptions, appeals).
- Apply the key principles of influence and persuasion.
- Develop and deliver effective public speaking presentations.
- Facilitate effective meetings.
- Behaviour and communication styles and preferences
- Intergenerational differences and requirements in communications
- Key rules on messaging, targeting, developing, and distributing communication materials
- Core principles of effective speaking, writing, persuading and influencing
- Effective verbal and written business communications
- Effective use of social media
- Presentation and Public Speaking Skills
- Legal and legislative impacts: AODA, FIPA, and Privacy
Assignment #1: What We Have Here Is a Failure to Communicate
|Group Assignment #2: A Cooperative Way to Communicate||20%|
|Group Assignment #3: Business Communication Plan and Presentation||25%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Pupil Transportation Management : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.