This course will examine major themes and concepts related to school board administration across the province of Ontario. You will be introduced to various school board organizations and the related roles and responsibilities of business officials in the school board environment. Explore why, what, who and how each department contributes to and supports staff and student effectiveness, as well as the goals of the board. Research and ideas related to the impact of culture, conflict resolution and customer service within the school board environment will be studied. Application of the learning across these themes will be emphasized in each unit.
This course is designed for Ontario School Board environment professionals, including pupil transportation, who are seeking to heighten their skills and knowledge and build leadership capacity within the school board environment.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the factors that influence organizational structures of school boards across the province of Ontario
- Examine the roles, responsibilities and relationships of business professionals within the school board environment
- Analyze how the work of business departments directly supports and impacts on student success, staff effectiveness, and community confidence
- Evaluate the impact of organizational culture on business operations in the school board environment
- Apply strategies for conflict resolution within the school board environment
- Propose customer service strategies that can enhance the effectiveness of business departments within the school board environment
The concepts in this course are presented in five units. Each unit will last two weeks:
- Unit 01: Roles, Responsibilities and Organizational Structures in School Board Administration
- Unit 02: The Impact of Corporate Departments on Student Achievement and Staff Effectiveness
- Unit 03: The Importance of Culture on Corporate Department Effectiveness
- Unit 04: Problem-solving and Conflict Resolution Frameworks and Strategies
- Unit 05: How to Build a Support Environment? Creating a Culture of Customer Service
|Assignment 1||Report to Trustees||25%|
|Assignment 2||Analysis of a Multi-Issue Case Study||25%|
|Assignment 3||Great Customer Service||25%|
|Assignment 4||Discussion Participation||25%|
The course is offered jointly by the Ontario Association of School Business Officials (OASBO) and the University of Guelph, Open Learning and Educational Support (OpenEd).
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in School Board Administration : Required Courses