Communication is at the heart of everything we do. No matter what our position or role in an organization, we communicate daily in many different ways, for different purposes and with different effects. In this course, we will explore the correlation between effective communication and individual and organizational success.
This course will examine major facets of communication including interpersonal, organizational and mass or public communication. We will apply communication theory, concepts and principles to workplace situations and provide an opportunity to analyze current communication practices and evaluate their effectiveness. There will be many opportunities to engage in discussion with the others. Share organizational best practices. There will also be opportunities for feedback and reflection on individual communication skills from the course instructor and peers.
There are seven units in the course. Each unit includes key ideas relevant to the topic, discussion activities, opportunities for self-reflection and assessment, and readings to provide additional insights and provoke further thought. Some units also include assignments that will provide a vehicle for more in-depth investigation and application of topics.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the theoretical underpinning of organizational communication and discuss commonly accepted theories.
- Describe the role communication plays in the work we do and the work done by others around us.
- Identify and discuss various forms of communication and how to use these forms to enhance the effectiveness of what we do.
- Analyze the complexity and critical importance of organizational communication.
- Develop and enhance personal communication skills as writers, listeners, and speakers.
- Identify and illustrate the elements of an effective presentation and use these concepts to develop and deliver a presentation.
- Develop and utilize the skills needed to develop and implement an effective communication plan.
- Express an understanding of the basics of media relations, issues management and crisis communications.
- Analyze the impact of new technologies and social media on communications and organizations.
The concepts of this course are presented in seven (7) units:
Unit 1. Defining communications and exploring interpersonal communication
Unit 2. Communication theory and its application within the organization
Unit 3. Developing meaningful presentations
Unit 4. Delivering presentations
Unit 5. Communication planning
Unit 6. Media relations, issues management, and crisis communications
Unit 7. New media
|Assignment 1: Preparing a Presentation||20%|
|Assignment 2: Communication Plan||20%|
|Assignment 3: Communication Technology Report||20%|
|Small Group Discussions||20%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in School Board Administration : Required Courses