Effective communication is critical to individual and organizational success. Whether managing social media, dealing with critical issues, building stakeholder relations, engaging in communication planning, the communications function is more complex and important than ever.
In this course, you will explore major facets of communication, including the effectiveness of interpersonal, organizational, and public communication. Strategic communication concepts and principles will be applied to workplace situations, providing an opportunity to analyze current communication practices and evaluate effectiveness.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the role communication plays in the work we do and the work done by others around us.
- Recognize the importance of and develop skills in strategic communication planning.
- Demonstrate enhanced communication skills in writing, listening, and speaking.
- Develop and deliver effective presentations.
- Explain the roles media relations, issues management, and crisis communications play in communication management.
- Identify the impact of both traditional and digital media on communications and organizations.
- Develop a communication plan that includes all planning phase steps and components.
- Create a message map that can be used for crisis communication.
The course is organized into five units, each spanning two weeks:
- Unit 01: Communications – Introduction (Weeks 1 and 2)
- Unit 02: Communications – Planning (Weeks 3 and 4)
- Unit 03: Communications – Channels (Weeks 5 and 6)
- Unit 04: Communications – Presentations (Weeks 7 and 8)
- Unit 05: Communications – Challenges (Weeks 9 and 10)
|Group Discussions (2 @10% each)||20%|
|Communications Plan (Group Project)||25%|
|Communication Tools Essay||15%|
|Presentation (Outline, Slide Deck, and Video)||20%|
|Communication Message Map (Group Project)||20%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in School Board Administration : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.