This course provides an overview of the many business and operational functions that influence the effective allocation and utilization of Ontario school board resources, as system leaders endeavor to achieve school board objectives in the context of Ontario’s public school system. While the course focuses on a number of major operational functions (e.g., student enrolment projections, budgeting, transportation consortia, etc.), there is also a focus on the ways in which the ‘parts of the whole’ function in an aligned and integrated fashion to support stewardship of publicly funded resources, strategic planning, and decision-making within a politically-driven system constrained by resource limitations. Students will learn how to make strategic use of resources and technology throughout all phases of planning, human resources, and transportation management to increase efficiencies in school board operations.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Articulate a broad understanding of many important functions and activities fundamental to school board operations and the ways in which they support strategic organizational objectives.
- Demonstrate insights and understanding that will enhance decision-making and leadership skills necessary in the leadership of a department or working team within a school board environment constrained by resource limitations and subject to political priorities and influences.
- Expand career advancement opportunities by developing a broader perspective of the provincial school board landscape and by increasing local and provincial networks through interaction with participants from across the province.
- Further develop communication and presentation skills that will allow participants to effectively engage with, respond to and persuade fellow participants from diverse backgrounds, areas of specialization and geographic location.
- Demonstrate capacity to participate in effective school board leadership through strategic analysis and a service orientation.
The concepts in this course are presented in 10 units that will each last one week.
Unit 01: Operations: Definition, scope, role, strategic objectives
Unit 02: Forecasting: Student Enrolment Projections
Unit 03: Budgeting: Financial Resources
Unit 04: Building an Effective Team – Human Resources
Unit 05: Dealing With Dificult People – Human Resources
Unit 06: Planning – Pupil Accommodation
Unit 07: Public Accountability and the Legislative Context – Broader Public Sector Accountability Act (BPSAA ) Compliance
Unit 08: Collaboration and Networking
Unit 09: Transporting Students: Economic Efficiencies and Transportation Consortia
Unit 10: Operational Synergy: Decision-Making, Alignment, and Integration
|Assignment 1: Impact of Enrolment Volatility||20%|
|Assignment 2: Team Effectiveness Assessment Report||25%|
|Assignment 3: Small Group Research Report: Outlining a relevant contemporary legal compliance issue||30%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in School Board Administration : Required Courses