This course provides an overview of the many business and operational functions that influence the effective allocation and utilization of Ontario school board resources, as system leaders endeavor to achieve school board objectives in the context of Ontario’s public school system. While the course focuses on a number of major operational functions (e.g., student enrolment projections, budgeting, transportation consortia, etc.), there is also a focus on the ways in which the ‘parts of the whole’ function in an aligned and integrated fashion to support stewardship of publicly funded resources, strategic planning, and decision-making within a politically-driven system constrained by resource limitations. Students will learn how to make strategic use of resources and technology throughout all phases of planning, human resources, and transportation management to increase efficiencies in school board operations.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Articulate a broad understanding of many important functions and activities fundamental to school board operations and the ways in which they support strategic organizational objectives
- Demonstrate insights and understanding that will enhance decision-making and leadership skills necessary in the leadership of a department or working team within a school board environment constrained by resource limitations and subject to political priorities and influences
- Expand career advancement opportunities by developing a broader perspective of the provincial school board landscape and by increasing local and provincial networks through interaction with participants from across the province
- Further develop communication and presentation skills that will allow you to effectively engage with, respond to and persuade colleagues from diverse backgrounds, areas of specialization and geographic location
- Demonstrate capacity to participate in effective school board leadership through strategic analysis and a service orientation
- Operations - Definition, Scope, Role, Strategic Objectives
- Forecasting - Student Enrolment Projections
- Budgeting - Financial Resources
- Building an Effective Team - Human Resources
- Dealing with Difficult People - Human Resources
- Planning - Pupil Accommodation
- Public Accountability and the Legislative Context - Broader Public Sector Accountability Act (BPSAA ) Compliance
- Collaboration and Networking
- Transporting Students - Economic Efficiencies and Transportation Consortia
- Operational Synergy - Decision-Making, Alignment and Integration
|Assignment 1: Impact of Enrolment Volatility||20%|
|Assignment 2: Team Effectiveness Assessment Report||25%|
|Assignment 3: Small Group Research Report – Outlining a Relevant Contemporary Legal Compliance Issue||30%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in School Board Administration : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.