Preventing disease and health problems should be the goal of every horse owner. This course will help you do just that. Many important topics and skills are covered to help you maintain optimal health and develop knowledge regarding a year-round health maintenance program.
You will be introduced to many of the common problems faced by horses, many due to management problems, and you will learn the steps to take so that you can reduce the risk for your horses and enhance your positive role in your horse’s health care team. New research will also be presented with practical applications for the horse owner.
The goal is not to be your own vet. The main goal is to help prepare you to be an effective advocate for your horse, with knowledge and skills to help your veterinarian maintain health and prevent disease in your horse.
Course designed for those who wish to maintain healthy horses and have knowledge in disease prevention.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the value of effective communication as it pertains to your horse’s health.
- Identify individual needs of your horse regarding health management and disease prevention.
- Identify common health problems and strategies available to prevent and/or manage them.
- Perform a daily health check and relay important data to your veterinarian that will aid in the health and welfare of your horse.
- Analyze biosecurity risks and determine the factors needed for infectious disease prevention strategies.
- Differentiate when immediate medical aid may be required or not, and identify first aid measures in different emergency scenarios.
- Ask your veterinarian educated questions, and discuss problems relating to your horse's health in an informed manner so that you may assist in the formulation or revision of your preventative health program.
- Find, interpret and critically appraise new information in order to update your background knowledge on a topic of interest.
- Advocate for your horse's health
- Monitoring your horse's health
- Role of biosecurity in equine wellness
- Effective approaches to emergencies
- Hoof health and conditions
- Lameness - Diagnostic process and understanding conditions
- Dental care
- Parasite control
- Owner impact on colic
- Overview of medical conditions
- Respiratory and cardiovascular health
- The pre-purchase examination
This course is designed for the adult learner, at least 18 years of age.
|Knowledge Quizzes||35%||There will be five online quizzes. Each quiz consists of a number of true or false statements, multiple-choice questions and matching questions which cover the weekly unit material.|
|Graded Discussions and Participation||15%||The discussion forum includes class learning questions, visiting guest speakers Q&A’s, as well as reflecting on various activities throughout the course.|
|Equine Virtual Farm||10%||You will create an action plan contributing actions points each week that you could take in real life to support the health and welfare of horses, into your Equine Virtual Farm.|
|First Aid Assignment||20%||You will compete a first aid fact sheet.|
|Lameness Research Assignment||20%||You will complete a research assignment.|
Open Learning and Educational Support