Examine the basic principles of financial management of a small equine business. Preparing balance sheets, analyzing income statements and understanding cash flow are key tools in effectively managing a successful business. You will study common risk and liability issues for business owners as well as explore unique issues to running your equine enterprise.
This course will provide you with the skills to manage your own business or work as an employee of an equine business—including tack and feed stores, rescue facilities, boarding schools and non-profit organizations. Event and show coordinators, freelancers, and all other small business owners are well-suited participants for this course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Develop financial skills to effectively manage your equine business
- Use and apply good financial business practices to sustain and evolve your equine business
- Use appropriate financial planning and assessment tools to make operational decisions
- Describe potential risks that can affect an equine business
- Establish guidelines and tools to reduce the potential risk factors
- Develop effective business communication skills
- Ther role of finance in your business and skills required of the business owner
- Introduction to Financial Literacy
- Business Operations
- Budgeting Fundamentals
- Accounting Concepts and Principles
- IntrepretingFinancial Statements
- Bookkeeping and Setting Up Your Accounts
- Raising Money/Funding
- Benchmarking and Metrics
- Taking Action - Mitigate Risk and Protecting your Assets
- The Financial Health of your Business
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete one of our equine certificates or the diploma.
- You do not need access to a horse to participate and be successful in this course. You do not need to currently own a business to participate
- You can expect to spend 6-10 hours per week to complete the course material, activities, discussions and assignments.
Equine Business Management, Marketing and Communications in the Equine Industry and the Equine Business Finance and Risk Management courses are designed to be taken as a series of courses to help the equine business owner develop and expand their business.
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
*Course details are subject to change.