2210002 - Equine Business Management
Deciding to turn your passion for horses into a profitable business requires planning. Starting and running an equine enterprise is unique in many ways, as the horse industry has many considerations that may not be common to other small businesses. From understanding the scope of the equine industry to writing a complete business plan, this online course helps you identify items that must be considered before you launch your equine enterprise, as well as guidelines for those already running a business in the equine industry.
Anyone interested in establishing their own equine business, researching a business idea, as well as those already running a business and looking to develop a plan.
My goal is to run an equine business and I'm really focusing on that right now, so I took the equine business management course. I absolutely do not regret this decision.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Recognize the various roles of an entrepreneur in the equine industry;
- Conduct and analyze market and industry research to identify profit opportunities for your equine business;
- Develop practical oral and written communications skills to improve customer relationships;
- Interpret and analyze basic financial statements to guide and improve your equine business;
- Measure the need for employees in your business and create an organizational plan;
- Discuss strategies to establish and grow a profitable business in the equine industry;
- Write a business plan for your equine business; and
- Identify areas of liability for your business and discuss the insurance requirements to protect it.
- You as an entrepreneur
- Explore business opportunities in the equine industry
- Develop your business idea
- Define your business
- Communicate as a business professional
- Financing your business
- Manage human resources and operations
- Market your business
- Build a profitable equine business
- Protect your business
- Write a business plan
- Take your business to the next level
There are many opportunities in the equine industry, both urban and rural, with horses and without horses, locally or globally, retail or e-commerce, the variety and diversity of the industry is great. Careers can be found in; retail sales, manufacturing products, event management, boarding facility management, coaching and training, business services such as marketing, website design, photography, insurance, real estate, appraisal services; health services such as nutrition, veterinary practices, farrier, and alternative therapies; association membership services, and assisted therapy and rescue facilities.
Whatever part of the industry you are passionate about, you will need sound business practices and knowledge to be a successful manager, small business owner or entrepreneur.
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete one of our equine business certificate or the diploma.*
- You do not need access to a horse to participate and be successful in this course.
- You can expect to spend 6-10 hours per week to complete the course material, discussions and assignments.
*If you are a certificate or diploma program student, we recommend you complete Management of the Equine Environment first, or very early in your studies. The Management of the Equine Environment course is offered every semester.
Open Learning and Educational Support
|Evaluation of your business idea||15%|
Do you have more questions? Visit our program page Frequently Asked Questions or send us your questions by completing the Request Information contact form.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in Equine Studies : Electives
- Certificate in Equine Business Management : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.