Find your voice and get started as a writer. Join a community of like-minded individuals and develop your writing talent. Highly recommended as a starting point for creative writing knowledge and skills development, the Introduction to Creative Writing course will introduce you to the possibilities of the writing craft and its many forms.
In this course, you will learn fundamental vocabulary and basic writing skills that can be applied to any genre. Explore choices of point of view in fiction, basic requirements of a narrative scene, narrative structure in fiction and non-fiction, techniques of lively writing, metaphoric language, dialogue and poetic forms. Practical information about publishing and the writing life will also be covered.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify creative writing elements used by published authors in fiction, non-fiction and poetry
- Apply various creative writing elements to your writing
- Demonstrate your creative writing skills through a writing portfolio that includes a dramatic scene, short story, poetry and short memoir
- Give and receive effective writing feedback
- Establish a writing practice with other writers
- Drama: Subtext, Conflict, and Momentum in Dialogue
- Fiction I: Story and Scene
- Fiction II: Point of View and Style
- Poetry I: Formal Poetry
- Poetry II: Elements of Free Verse
- Creative Non-Fiction: Basics
- Getting Out There: Publishing and Performing
There are no prerequisites for this course. You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate. This is one of two required courses for the certificate.
|Reading/Writing Journal Exercise||30%|
Your final portfolio will consist of one short memoir (a max of 500 words), one short story (a max of 1,000 words), one dramatic monologue, and two poems.
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
College of Arts, School of English and Theatre Studies
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Required Courses