Find your voice and get started as a writer. Join a community of like-minded individuals and develop your writing talent. Highly recommended as a starting point for creative writing knowledge and skills development, the Introduction to Creative Writing course will introduce you to the possibilities of the writing craft and its many forms.
In this course, you will learn fundamental vocabulary, workshop practices, and basic writing skills that can be applied to any genre. You will be introduced to choices of point of view in fiction, basic requirements of narrative scene, dialogue, narrative structure in fiction and nonfiction, techniques of lively writing, metaphoric language and poetic forms. Techniques for getting started as a writer, generating material, finding a voice and some practical information about publishing and the writing life will be covered.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize creative writing elements used by published authors in fiction, non-fiction, poetry and drama
- Demonstrate the use of creative writing elements in your writing
- Create and maintain a portfolio of your writing
- Give and receive effective writing feedback
- Develop a writing practice with other writers
- Identify with “the writing life”
- Drama: Subtext, Conflict, and Momentum in Dialogue
- Fiction I: Story and Scene
- Fiction II: Point of View and Style
- Poetry I: Formal Poetry
- Poetry II: Elements of Free Verse
- Creative Non-Fiction: Basics
- Structure & Revision
- Publishing and Performing
There are no prerequisites for this course. You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate. This is one of two required courses for the certificate.
|Reading/Writing Journal Exercise||30%|
Your final portfolio will consist of one short memoir (a maximum of 500 words), one short story (a maximum of 1,000 words), one dramatic monologue, and two poems.
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.