Develop your confidence as a writer and learn the fundamentals of short story writing along with the guidance of a professional short story writer. Read published examples, study the technical aspects of short story writing, and practice and polish your writing through course workshopping.
Explore the necessary elements of a short story and how to write strong prose and convincing dialogue. A variety of topics including structure, setting, revision and voice are covered. Finish the course with two revised short stories to add to your writing portfolio.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate the use of short story styles and techniques in your writing
- Identify current trends and historical development of the short story
- Understand and identify elements of the short story including scene and summary, dramatic arc, point of view, character and setting
- Apply techniques for writing strong prose and convincing dialogue
- Recognize the importance of revision in producing publishable work
- Give and receive effective writing feedback
- Current Trends and What Makes a Short Story
- Point of View and Psychic Distance
- Plot, Action, Conflict
- Movement and Pacing
- Scene and Dialogue
- Structure and Shape
- Revision and Rewriting
- Publishing Short Stories
Additional RequirementsThere are no prerequisites for this course. You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate.
|Participation: Discussion, and Workshops||30%|
|Weekly Writing Exercises||15%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.