Develop your confidence as a writer. Learn the fundamentals of short story writing along with the guidance of a professional short story writer. Read published examples, explore the technical aspects of short story writing, and practice and polish your writing through course workshopping.In this course, you will be introduced to the necessary elements of a short story and how to write strong prose and convincing dialogue. A variety of topics including structure, setting, revision and voice will be covered. You will finish the course with two revised short stories to add to your writing portfolio.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate the use of short story styles and techniques in your writing
- Identify current trends and historical development of the short story
- Understand and identify elements of the short story including scene and summary, dramatic arc, point of view, character and setting
- Apply techniques for writing strong prose and convincing dialogue
- Recognize the importance of revision in producing publishable work
- Give and receive effective writing feedback
- What a Story Needs
- The Art of the Sentence
- The Difference Between Scene and Summary
- Writing Effective Dialogue
- Structure – The Hero’s Journey
- Point of View, Character and Voice
- Short Story Genres Including Autobiographical and Surrealist Fiction
- Publishing Short Stories in Canada
Additional RequirementsThere are no prerequisites for this course. You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate.
|Workshop Discussion & Participation||30%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives