Reading is not only an act of leisure but a vital part of a writer’s job, and most writers will admit, in part, that they’ve learned how to write through reading.
In the Creative Writing through Reading course, you will be encouraged to think about reading as a creative act in which you can collaborate with an author to create an imagined world and consider the reading of creative work as an act that builds empathy.
By reading examples of literary work through the lens of the writing practice, you will learn to consider questions of authorial choice, including implications of choices related to point of view, structure and voice. You will be encouraged to consider creative writing as an art of authorial choice and selection, and to expand your own range of choice.
This course concentrates on three genres: fiction (short story, novel excerpts), creative non-fiction (memoir, lyric essay) and poetry. Techniques for getting started as a writer, generating material, finding a voice, and transforming life experience into writing will also be covered.
It is important to note this course is structured as a workshop. You will receive feedback from your instructor and fellow writers in a roundtable setting. You should be prepared to offer your classmates responses to their work.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize what it means to read closely (reading and responding to close readings in fiction, non-fiction and poetry)
- Identify various approaches to style including dialogue, description, character development, sound and rhythm
- Apply stylistic techniques to your writing
- Demonstrate the use of creative writing styles and techniques in your writing
- Give and receive effective writing feedback
- Point of View in Fiction
- Basic Requirements of Narrative Scene
- Narrative Structure in Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Techniques of Lively Writing
- Metaphoric Language
- Poetic Forms
There are no prerequisites for this course. You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate. This is one of two required courses for the certificate.
|Discussion & Workshop Participation||30%|
|Reading Journal (2 x 15%)||30%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.