It has been said that if a short story is a love affair, a novel is a marriage; the novelist is in it for the long haul. If you’ve been looking for guidance on writing a novel, ‘The Novel’ is an ideal place to start.This course will study the challenges of developing a long narrative as well as delving into craft and creative writing skills generally. Students will read published excerpts, create their own work, and participate in workshopping sessions around their own work and their peers'. The structure of the novel will be considered; where to begin, how to sustain dramatic movement and attention, and building upon the unit of the scene. Students will have an opportunity to workshop the first chapter of their novel in class.
This course is designed for writers of all levels who are interested in getting started on writing a novel.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Examine and discuss creative writing elements specific to the writing of a novel.
- Practice creative writing techniques discussed in class through writing exercises in your personal writing journal.
- Demonstrate the use of creative writing elements in your own writing by creating and revising written material.
- Receive and give constructive feedback through the practice of “workshopping”.
- Learn from published novels and discuss their strengths and weaknesses in order to further your personal writing development.
- Identify and apply various ways to structure a novel.
- Learn about the process of creating an outline for a novel and initiate your personal work by writing the first chapter.
- Plot & Structure
- Writing from Life: Distance, Setting & Truth
- Point of View
- Voice & Style: Stylistic & Descriptive Writing
- Revision & the Business of Publishing
There are no prerequisites for this course. You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate.
|Workshop & Discussion Participation||30%|
|Chapter One - First Draft||40%|
|Chapter One - Second Draft||30%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
- College of Arts, School of English and Theatre Studies
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives