From the page to the stage!
What does it take to write a great play? Is it an engaging story? Thought provoking ideas? Intriguing characters? Dramatic conflict? Visual metaphor? Dialogue that lifts easily off the page? This course jumps right into the wonderful world of playwriting. Over the course of eight weeks, students will learn, in a supportive environment, the fundamentals of playwriting and begin to apply those elements to their own work. This course is suitable for playwrights at all levels, writers curious about the craft of playwriting, as well as those looking to improve their writing in other genres.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
1. Discuss and review the elements of good playwriting.
2. Apply those elements to your own writing, using conflict, dialogue, character development, monologues, structure, theme and inspiration.
This course encompasses assigned readings, discussion of the fundamentals of playwriting, practical writing exercises and peer workshops.
Topics covered include:
- Developing a vocabulary for critiquing plays
- Writing dramatically
- Character development
- Finding inspiration
- Embracing the rewrite
- The practicalities of being a playwright
|Short Play: Final Project||35%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives