Examine the dynamic process of writing a stage play. Over eight weeks, you will explore the fundamentals of playwriting and begin to apply many of the elements to your own dramatic writing. Using a workshop format, you will engage in a didactic process of presenting your work, as well as giving and receiving feedback. The course culminates with the drafting of your own short play.
This course is ideal for anyone seeking to experiment with the craft of playwriting, as well as those who want to enhance their playwriting skills and experience.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and continue to explore the fundamentals of playwriting
- Analyze and critique elements of effective playwriting, including structure, themes, character development, dialogue and monologues
- Incorporate elements of playwriting into your original writing
- Fundamentals of Playwriting
- Theme Development
- Character Models
- Levels of Dialogue
- Positioning Events
- Formatting a Play
- Stage Types
- Play Structures
|In-Class Discussions & Online Workshopping||35%|
|Dramatic Writing Practice: Creating Compelling Themes, Characters, Dialogue and Events (3 x 10%)||30%|
|Invest the Moment: Developing a Short Play||35%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives