Explore the dynamic process of writing a stage play. Over eight weeks, you will be guided, in a supportive environment, to apply the fundamentals of playwriting to writing a ten-minute play - a valuable template for longer work. Through discussion, writing exercises and peer workshops we will get the creative juices flowing, covering story outlines, character development, dialogue and structure. This course is suitable for playwrights at all levels, writers curious about the craft of playwriting, as well as those looking to improve their writing in other genres.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss and critique the elements of good playwriting.
- Apply elements of good writing to your own writing, using conflict, dialogue, character development, monologues, structure, and explorations of themes.
- Fundamentals of Playwriting
- Finding inspiration
- Developing a vocabulary for critiquing plays
- What makes writing dramatic
- Developing authentic characters
- Proper play formatting
- Embracing the rewrite
- The practicalities of being a playwright
|Workshop, Discussion and Participation||30%|
|Pre-class and In-class Writing Assignments||35%|
|Final Project: 10-Minute Play||35%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.