Over the last decade, young adult literature has seen a remarkable rise in popularity. Venture beyond best-seller lists and the latest Hollywood blockbuster adaptations to explore the many possibilities of the young adult genre. Read several sub-genres of young adult writing—from historical fiction to science fiction—and examine a variety of writing styles and techniques, from different narrative voices to the numerous ways to build a world of your own. You will also investigate the expectations of the young adult genre, in terms of audience, style, and marketing imperatives, and explore what the young adult genre means to you.
The course format combines lecture, discussion, writing exercises, and workshop.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify writing styles and techniques used in young adult literature through the discussion of readings of various sub-genres of young adult literature
- Generate ideas and apply writing techniques in a variety of genres by completing weekly writing assignments
- Investigate the expectations and tropes of the young adult genre, examining the audience, style and marketing of the imperatives
- Respectfully critique the creative work of others by participating in the workshop process, reading your own work and critiquing the work of others
- Prepare a final portfolio of 20-30 pages that demonstrates engagement with at least two genres of young adult literature
- Contemporary Young Adult/The Importance of Character
- Romantic Young Adult/The Importance of Being Star-Crossed
- Young Adult Horror/The Importance of Emotion
- Stories in Verse/The Importance of the Poetic
- Historical Young Adult/The Importance of Detail
- Science Fiction & Fantasy/The Importance of the Real
- Moving Forward with Young Adult Fiction
This course is intended for adult learners. There are no prerequisites for this course. You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate.
|Participation - Discussion & Workshops||25%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.