8000003 - Metabarcoding
Metabarcoding is a rapidly evolving method for assessing biodiversity from bulk or environmental samples. It has a wide range of applications: biodiversity monitoring, animal diet assessment, reconstruction of paleo communities, among others. DNA metabarcoding relies on molecular techniques such as PCR and next-generation sequencing, and requires bioinformatics and biostatistics competence to analyze sequencing results. This approach integrates several scientific areas and requires a broad range of skills in addition to the basic knowledge related to the considered research topic. This program will provide an overview of the state of current technology and the various platforms used. The course consists of a series of online lectures and research exercises introducing different aspects of metabarcoding and metagenomics. We will also touch on the suite of bioinformatics tools available for sequence analysis and data interpretation.
This course would be of interest to researchers, educators, government regulatory staff, graduate students, forensic staff, lab technicians, museum collection staff etc.
At the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe and comprehend the background of metabarcoding technology;
- Identify species by performing database queries with common databases and interpretation of results;
- Critically evaluate studies that utilized DNA-based taxonomy;
- Develop skills to make informed decisions about the choice of a Next-generation sequencing platform and laboratory needs; and
- Synthesize knowledge and effectively communicate about DNA Barcoding for grant proposals and interaction with policymakers.
- Next-generation sequencing
- Metabarcoding analytics
- Applications/Recent research
Job Market Overview
Additional RequirementsWorking knowledge of DNA Barcoding and sequencing basics.
|Quizzes (2 x 20%)||40%|
|Assignments (2 x 20%)||40%|
College: College of Biological Sciences
Department: Centre for Biodiversity Genomics
Other DNA Barcoding Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.