BIOM*3200 - Biomedical Physiology
This course focuses on the normal functioning of mammals. The physiology of the nervous, endocrine, reproductive, cardiovascular and digestive systems and homeostasis as reflected in respiratory and renal function is treated in a detailed manner. The integrative nature of various physiological systems is highlighted and cellular and molecular information is incorporated to enhance the understanding of these systems. Aspects of medically significant changes in the mammalian physiological systems are also introduced.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe and understand mammalian physiological principles.
- Explain how each body system functions, interacts, and integrates with other body systems to achieve homeostasis and normal body function.
- Describe the anatomical components of each physiological system and relate physiological function to anatomical form throughout all units covered in this course.
- Identify and describe, using a comparative approach, key physiological adaptations to understand the basis for these adaptations.
- Describe and predict how external stimuli, such as medical or physical trauma, lead to alterations in homeostasis and/or changes in the physiological functioning of body systems, and how homeostatic balance is restored.
- Renal Physiology
- Blood & Immunity
- Homeostasis & Neurophysiology
- The Nervous System
- Synaptic Transmission & Muscle Physiology
- Respiratory System
- Digestive Physiology
Restriction(s): HK*3940. This is a Priority Access Course. Enrolment may be restricted to particular programs or specializations or semester levels during certain periods. Please see the Department of Biomedical Sciences website for more information.
|Quizzes (8 x 1.25%)||10%|
|Case Study Series||10%|
|Online Final Exam||40%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.