This course looks at the Canadian Economy in terms of aggregate performance and policy; analysis of the determinants of national income, employment and the price level, and the role of government monetary and fiscal policies in improving the rate of economic growth.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Recognize macroeconomic concepts including GDP, price indices, growth, exchange rates, interest rates, money multipliers, expenditure multipliers, balance of payments, budget balances, trade balances and productivity measures;
- Measure economic activity including inflation, GDP, unemployment, savings, and balance of payments;
- Interpret expansionary and inflationary gaps, economic booms and recessions, and distinguish between short-run and long run macroeconomic outcomes;
- Analyze and interpret economic models such as the foreign exchange market model, the loanable funds market model, the aggregate expenditure model, and the AD/AS model;
- Analyze financial markets including the foreign exchange market, the money market, and the bond market;
- Explain and give examples of monetary, fiscal, and exchange rate policy;
- Justify an opinion on the role of government with respect to the values of Canadian macroeconomic indicators; and
- Interpret Canadian economic performance in a historical and global context.
- Variables, measurement, and issues
- The economy in the short run
- Stabilization policy
- Open economy macroeconomics
Grading Scheme with the Purchase of MyEconLab:
|Online Final Exam||55%|
Grading Scheme without the Purchase of MyEconLab:
|On Campus Final Exam||60%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- MyLab, a web-based tool created by Pearson Education. Visit their website to complete a check that ensures your computer meets the MyLab
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
- Zoom as a video communication tool. A Webcam, a microphone to record video, and headphones/speakers to play back the recording are also needed.
Please view the Technical Considerations for each.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.