This course examines the role of communication in global development. Emphasis is on the application of interpersonal, intercultural communications and the mass media in the development process.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the theoretical and practical roles of information, communication and media in international and global contexts;
- Outline the political, cultural and socio-economic forces that drive information, communication and media initiatives in the public (government and not-for-profit) and private sectors;
- Evaluate the key international institutions and polices that shape information, communication and media in the global environment;
- Analyze the impact of mass media on global issues such as poverty and economic crisis, environmental disasters and cultural diversity;
- Assess the role of communication for social change and development in today’s world in an analytical and critical manner;
- Describe the media and communication-related forces that influence personal and social interaction in today’s world; and
- Express an appreciation of the role of the media as a major moderator of national and international dialogue, discourse and development.
- International Communications Infrastructure
- New Media
- Media Ownership and Globalization
- Regional Perspectives
- Global Advertising to Community Media
Prerequisite(s): 10.00 credits
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Written Assignment: Country Media Review||20%||1, 2|
|Quizzes (3)||15%||3, 4, 5, 6, 7|
|Headline News Discussions (2 discussions)||20%||2, 3|
|Take-Home Final Exam||40%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Zoom as a video communication tool. A Webcam, a microphone to record video, and headphones/speakers to play back the recording are also needed.
Please view the Technical Considerations for each.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Communication Process: Bridging Theory and Practice : Required Courses
- Certificate in Leadership : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.