EDRD*3500 - Recreation and Tourism Planning
Application of planning theory to recreation and tourism in the private and public sectors, approaches to implementing plans, and strategies for involving stakeholders in the planning process. Focus will also be on the impact of various approaches to planning recreation and tourism.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Analyze social-psychological consequences on leisure behavior and leisure experiences across various contexts;
- Identify negative and positive impacts that may arise from the planning and delivery of leisure services;
- Assess how current theories and concepts in leisure help us understand the role that recreation may play in the lives and the well-being of individuals and groups;
- Apply planning theories and planning concepts to evaluate the development and delivery of leisure services;
- Recognize how past and present leisure services have been designed and were implemented in our communities; and
- Assess personal leisure values and leisure believes and their impact on conflict resolution of different leisure scenarios.
- Conceptualization of Terms
- History, Theory and Leisure Experiences
- Leisure Benefits
- Leisure Constraints
- Work, Leisure and Family Time
- Leisure Motivation, Therapeutic Recreation, and Community Development
- Recreation Planning and Logic Models
- Leisure Philosophies and Cyclical Models of Planning
- Evaluation Process and Tools for Assessment
- Stakeholder Involvement and Recreation Planning
- Nature and Type of Impacts and Impact Assessment
- Planning for the Future
Prerequisite(s): 10.00 credits
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Recreation Program and Evaluation Plan||40%||1, 3, 4|
|Online Final Exam||35%||1 - 6|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Environmental Citizenship : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.