This course is designed to acquaint the student with the broad field of beekeeping. It will include honey bee biology and behaviour, management for honey production, products of the hive, pests and enemies and the value of bees as pollinators of agricultural crops.
By the end of the course, the learning should be able to:
- Identify and describe the fundaments and scientific basis of beekeeping;
- Recognize biological principles applicable to many organisms by using the honey bee as a study subject;
- Appreciate the importance of honey bees as beneficial insects involved in food production and in ecosystem sustainability;
- Explain management practices involved in keeping honeybees healthy and productive; and
- Search, interpret, discuss and communicate in writing aspects of scientific literature relating to honey bee biology.
- Honey Bees and Beekeeping
- Development, Structure and Functions of Honey Bees
- Honey Bee Types, Nests and Colony Cycle
- Foraging, Queens and Mating
- Colony Reproduction and Sex Determination
- Honey Bee Adaptation and Diversity: Races, Strains and Hybrids
- Beekeeping: What's needed?
- Managing the Bees
- Honey Production and Pre-Winter Management
- Other Products and Benefits from Bees
- Diseases and Parasites
- Pests and Pesticides
|Participation in Discussions||20%|
|Online Final Exam||35%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.