FOOD*4310 - Food Safety Management Systems
Participants will learn and apply principles of food safety management and the systems involved. The course is organized in four modules. (1) A brief review of plant hygiene and HACCP principles; (2) HACCP implementation and verification; (3) HACCP-based food safety programs in Canada; and (4) International Food Safety Management Systems.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as part of a certificate program.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
1. Explain the importance of food safety management systems and different regulatory frameworks across the globe.
2. Identify and apply requirements for completing documentation for implementing a prerequisite program.
3. Discuss and interpret elements of food safety management systems.
4. Demonstrate how to complete documentation in accordance with the Food Safety Enhancement Program (FSEP).
5. Describe the need to modernize food safety regulations and elements of a food safety plan.
6. Describe the principles and elements of a Food Safety Plan along with relation to Global Food Safety Initiative.
7. Appraise a HACCP plan by developing and implementing an audit using standards provided by GFSI certification scheme.
8. Demonstrate knowledge of the background and application on food safety management systems.
The course will provide a detailed overview of the components of food safety management systems encountered in current day food chains (farm to fork). The course is divided into four modules as follows:
1. Module 1 Regulatory Frameworks, History of HACCP and Prerequisite Programs (units 01 to 04)
2. Module 2 The HACCP Plan (units 05 to 08)
3. Module 3 The Food Safety Modernization Act (units 09 and 10)
4. Module 4 Auditing Food Safety Systems (units 11 and 12)
* Evolution of Regulatory Frameworks and History of HACCP
* Prerequisite Programs Part I – Premises, Transportation and Equipment
* Prerequisite Programs Part II – Sanitation, Pest Control and Recalls
* Prerequisite Programs Part III – Personnel, Operational Programs and Food Safety Culture
* HACCP Overview
* Hazard Identification Through Risk Analysis
* Identification of Critical Control Points and Monitoring
* Corrective Actions, Verification and Record Keeping
* The Global Food Safety Initiative and Modernization Act
* Modernization Act: Food Safety Modernization Act and Safer Food for Canadians Act
* Levels of Audits and Establishing Standards
* Developing and Applying Audit Forms
Pre-Requisite(s): (FOOD*2010 or FOOD*2150), (FOOD*2410 or FOOD*3160), (1 of FOOD*2420, FOOD*3230, FOOD*3240)
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussions (5 x 2.5%)||10%||2, 3, 4|
|Module Summaries (4 x 2.5%)||10%||1, 3, 5, 6, 8|
|Assignment 1||10%||2, 3, 4|
Take-Home Final Exam
|30%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Food Science : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.