Major global environmental issues examined include climate change, deforestation, desertification and global fisheries. This course is interdisciplinary, exploring the interactions of bio-physical processes with human socio-economic dynamics, including policy initiatives. Particular attention is given to global climate change, its causes, its nature and extent, its implications for ecosystems and societies, and its governance implications.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Articulate the general trends in global environmental changes, along with the mechanisms by which local processes influence global processes and vice versa;
- Identify the factors that influence the vulnerability of a community or a region to global environmental change;
- Build a mental map (cause-effect diagramming) to identify and communicate the complex relationships between social and biophysical systems that influence the vulnerability of a community or a region to global environmental change; and
- Contribute to strategic planning discussions and exercises about ways that a municipality / province / country might respond to global environmental change.
- Overview and Impacts
- Addressing Climate Change: Mitigation and Adaptation
- Deforestation & Biodiversity
- Desertification & Soils
- Freshwater, Oceans and Marine Fisheries
- Sustainable Development
Prerequisite(s): 7.50 credits (GEOG*2210 recommended)
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Evidence-Based Blog Posts (2 x 10%)||20%||1, 4|
|Responses to Blog Posts (2 x 5%)||10%||1, 4|
|Individual Project: Strategic Planning for Global Environmental Change||30%||2, 3, 4|
|Unit 08 Quiz||15%|
|Take-Home Final Exam||25%||1, 2, 3, 4|
Additional Technical Requirements
Virtual Classroom is a video conferencing tool used to facilitate synchronous virtual meetings. You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. You will need to have a microphone, headset or speakers, and a webcam to participate fully in Virtual Classroom sessions.
*Course details are subject to change.