GEOG*3020 - Global Environmental Change
This course studies the social drivers of global environmental change and examines how influential governance organizations work in response. The course explores interactions among socio-economic systems, governance institutions, and biophysical processes. Specific attention is given to the causes of climate change and its implications for people and the places they call home.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Articulate the general trends in global environmental changes, along with the mechanisms by which local processes influence global processes and vice versa;
- Identify the factors that influence the vulnerability of a community or a region to global environmental change;
- Build a mental map (cause-effect diagramming) to identify and communicate the complex relationships between social and biophysical systems that influence the vulnerability of a community or a region to global environmental change; and
- Contribute to strategic planning discussions and exercises about ways that a municipality / province / country might respond to global environmental change.
- Overview and Impacts
- Addressing Climate Change: Mitigation and Adaptation
- Deforestation & Biodiversity
- Desertification & Soils
- Freshwater, Oceans and Marine Fisheries
- Sustainable Development
Prerequisite(s): 7.50 credits (GEOG*2210 recommended)
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Evidence-Based Blog Posts (2 x 10%)||20%||1, 4|
|Responses to Blog Posts (2 x 5%)||10%||1, 4|
|Individual Project: Strategic Planning for Global Environmental Change||30%||2, 3, 4|
|Unit 08 Quiz||15%|
|Take-Home Final Exam||25%||1, 2, 3, 4|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Zoom as a video communication tool. A Webcam, a microphone to record video, and headphones/speakers to play back the recording are also needed.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Environmental Citizenship : Electives
- Certificate in Environmental Conservation : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.