Using an integrated approach to studying leadership, this foundation course covers history, evolving theories, models, and research both from a theoretical point of view and practical application. This course will use a seminar style with applied workshops, class discussions, guest speakers, and student participation. Students will prepare elements of a skills portfolio and a research paper. This is a required course for the Certificate in Leadership.
Note: This course may be taken individually or as a part of a certificate or diploma program.
By the end of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Explain the development of current and historical leadership theories and concepts through discussions and content quizzes;
- Apply leadership theories and concepts to real-life and/or simulated situations and/or persons through discussions, activities and group work;
- Analyze and critically reflect on your own leadership experiences and expectations through a personal leadership portfolio, activities and discussions; and
- Create a Personal Leadership Portfolio (PLP) that allows you to critically reflect upon and assess your leadership development to date, as well as opportunities for future development.
- Leadership Traits and Skills
- Leadership Styles and Approaches
- Leadership Behaviour
- Leadership Issues
|Online Quizzes (Best 5 of 10 x 2%)||10%|
|Weekly Discussions and Assignments||20%|
|Personal Leadership Portfolio||25%|
|On Campus Final Exam||25%|
*Course details are subject to change.