This course focuses on how organizations attract, retain, and motivate employees through formal and informal reward mechanisms. Topics include: developing pay structures, job analysis, job evaluation, pay systems, pay system administration, equity issues, and benefits.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Conduct a job evaluation and develop a pay structure;
- Analyze and make recommendations to organizations regarding their compensation system;
- Recognize the importance of basing a pay system on a job analysis;
- Understand the importance of incorporating equity issues and other motivation theories into an organization's compensation and benefit system;
- Analyze performance evaluation and compensation systems and provide recommendations to ensure effective performance management of your employees;
- Describe the importance of internal alignment (between the compensation system and the strategy of the organization);
- Understand the importance of external competitiveness and its effect on an organization's pay system;
- Recognize the importance of establishing a pay system that is both perceived as procedurally just and is legally defensible;
- Apply the theories you have learned to real-world situations, including issues you see in the media and situations you encounter in the workplace;
- Complete the academic requirements for one course for the HRPA designation (Compensation) (see HRPA.ca for requirements); and
- Show appreciation for the how different individuals are motivated by different factors, and how organizations should alter their reward systems according to individual differences, and organizational culture, structure and strategy.
- Introduction to Strategic Compensation Systems
- Internal Alignment: Determining the Structure
- Job Evaluation
- Person-Based Pay Structures
- External Competitiveness: Determining the Pay Level
- Employee Benefits
- Pay for Performance
- The Role of Government & Unions in Compensation
- Budgets & Administration
Prerequisite(s): 1 of BUS*3000, HROB*2100, HROB*2290, HROB*3000, PSYC*3070
Equate(s): BUS*3010, PSYC*3010
Restriction(s): This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time periods. Please contact the department for more information.
|Compensation Essay Outline||2%|
|Online Seminars and Discussions||28%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
*Course details are subject to change.