A beginning course in Italian providing the fundamentals of grammar, structure and idiom. Introduction to aspects of Italian life and culture through audio-visual aids. (This course may not be taken by students who have credit for 12U Italian or equivalent.)
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Recognize basic spoken Italian;
- Communicate in basic Italian using familiar everyday expressions related to practical needs;
- Introduce yourself in Italian;
- Interpret simple sentences and expressions written in Italian; and
- Write simple sentences in Italian.
- Introduction and Pronunciation
- Nouns and articles
- Buono e bello
- Quanto? Quale?
- Verbi in – are
- Verbi in – ere e – ire
- Molto, poco, troppo
- Sapere e conoscere
- Pronomi diretti
- Passato prossimo
This course is not intended for students with prior knowledge in Italian. Students with previous knowledge in the language must seek advice on course selection from the Head of the Italian program and might be assigned to another level of Italian. Open Learning program students, please contact Counsellor@OpenEd.uoguelph.ca.
|Assessment Items||Weight||Learning Resources|
|eSam Online Exercises (6 x 5%)||30%||1, 2, 3, 4 and 5|
|Short Reflection (10 x 0.5%)||5%||2 and 4|
|Mini-Assignments (5 x 3%)||15%||1, 2, 3, 4 and 5|
|Online Final Exam||50%||1, 2, 3, 4 and 5|
|Total||100%||1, 2, 3, 4 and 5|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- TopHat is a web-based platform. Visit the Student: Quick Start Guide to complete a check that ensures your computer meets the requirements.
- Virtual Classroom is a video conferencing tool used to facilitate synchronous virtual meetings.
Please view the Technical Considerations for each.
*Course details are subject to change.