MATH*1030 - Business Mathematics
Primarily intended for business and economics students, this course is designed to introduce and reinforce the essential mathematical skills needed to understand, analyze, and solve mathematical problems related to business and economics. Topics covered include basic algebra; functions, including a review of exponential and logarithmic functions; sequences and series with financial applications; limits; continuity; and differential calculus including derivatives, higher order derivatives, and curve sketching.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Use basic algebra to simplify and manipulate algebraic equations.
- Describe and manipulate elementary functions, including logarithmic functions, exponential functions, and linear, quadratic, and higher order polynomials.
- Sketch, identify, and interpret a wide variety of graphs.
- Construct and solve systems of linear equations derived from worded descriptions.
- Interpret the meaning of a limit, and be able to calculate limits involving simple functions and sequences.
- Describe the differences between sequences and series, and use formulas resulting from finite and infinite series to solve problems involving payments, deposits, and interest rates.
- Explain the geometric and practical meanings of a derivative, find derivatives of functions, and use derivatives to solve optimization problems.
- Apply the mathematical methods covered in the course to solve real-world problems in finance, business, and economics.
- Review of Algebra
- Linear Equations
- Quadratic and Higher Order Polynomial Equations
- Exponentials and Logarithms
- Systems of Linear Equations
- Applications to Finance
- Limits and Continuity
- Curve Sketching
Prerequisite(s): 4U Advanced Functions
Restriction(s): MATH*1080, MATH*1200 Not available to students registered in the BSC program.
|Quizzes (Best 9 of 10)||50%|
|Take-Home Final Exam||50%|
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.