MCS*1000 - Introductory Marketing
This course covers the marketing of both products and services. Students will be introduced to the theoretical concepts through lectures and class discussions and have the opportunity to apply these concepts through case analysis and discussion.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Recognize the importance of marketing in firms and in society;
- Explain the marketing process and its components;
- Describe the role of social responsibility and ethics in the marketing contexts;
- Apply marketing concepts and tools across a broad spectrum of situations, including small and large firms as well as profit and not-profit organizations;
- Develop and produce basic organization marketing plans and activities of products and services; and
- Apply and analyze marketing strategies and tactics within a simulated environment.
- The Marketing Process
- The Marketing Concept
- Understanding buying behavior
- Segmenting, Targeting, Positioning
- Company, Marketing and New Product Strategy
- Managing Products and Services
- Promotion Mix
- Personal Selling
- Marketing Channels
- Marketing Research
- Marketing Context: Business Environment, Ethics and Social Responsibility
Restriction(s): This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time periods. Please contact the department for more information. This course may not be taken for credit subsequent to receiving a credit in FARE*4370 or HTM*3080
|Video Discussions (6 of 7 x 3%)||18%|
|Online Simulation Marketing Report||10%|
|Online Simulation Final Report||10%|
|Weekly Connect Quizzes (10 x 2%)||20%|
|Signed Group Contract||2%|
|Group Peer Evaluation||3%|
|Online Final Exam||35%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.