This course covers the marketing of both products and services. Students will be introduced to the theoretical concepts through lectures and class discussions and have the opportunity to apply these concepts through case analysis and discussion.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Recognize the importance of marketing in firms and in society;
- Explain the marketing process and its components;
- Describe the role of social responsibility and ethics in the marketing contexts;
- Apply marketing concepts and tools across a broad spectrum of situations, including small and large firms as well as profit and not-profit organizations;
- Develop and produce basic organization marketing plans and activities of products and services; and
- Apply and analyze marketing strategies and tactics within a simulated environment.
- The Marketing Process
- The Marketing Concept
- Understanding buying behavior
- Segmenting, Targeting, Positioning
- Company, Marketing and New Product Strategy
- Managing Products and Services
- Promotion Mix
- Personal Selling
- Marketing Channels
- Marketing Research
- Marketing Context: Business Environment, Ethics and Social Responsibility
Restriction(s): This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time periods. Please contact the department for more information. This course may not be taken for credit subsequent to receiving a credit in FARE*4370 or HTM*3080
|Video Discussions (6 of 7 x 3%)||18%|
|Online Simulation Marketing Report||10%|
|Online Simulation Final Report||10%|
|Weekly Connect Quizzes (10 x 2%)||20%|
|Signed Group Contract||2%|
|Group Peer Evaluation||5%|
|Online Final Exam||35%|
|Research Component (Bonus)||2%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use McGraw-Hill Connect. Connect is a digital learning environment administered by McGraw-Hill Education. Visit their website to complete a check that ensures your computer meets the Connect system requirements.
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable.?(You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.