MCS*2020 - Information Management
In this course students are introduced to the concepts and principles of information acquisition, manipulation and management as relevant to organizational decision-making. Experience in the evaluation of information technology applications used in organizations is provided.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe and differentiate various information systems used to manage information
- Summarize the impact of the internet and information technology on business processes and new business models
- Describe how effective information management contributes to competitive advantage, value, creation, and organizational decision making
- Analyze broad ethical and privacy issues related to information and technology
- Define various parts of information technology infrastructure
- Reconize an information need and develop a strategy to acquire the needed information
- Gain a proficiency in basic Excel skills to solve business problems
- Information Systems in Global Business
- E-business and Collaboration
- Information Systems, Organization, and Strategy
- Ethical and Social Issues in Information Systems
- Hardware and Software
- Databases and Information Management
- The Cloud
- Enterprise Applications
- Decision Making and Business Intelligence
- Acquiring Information Systems Through Projects
- Structure, Governance, Security, and Privacy
Prerequisite(s): 4.00 credits
Restriction(s): This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time periods. Please contact the department for more information. Not available to students registered in BCOMP program.
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussions (5)||10%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Quizzes (4)||20%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Excel Assignments (4)||20%||7|
|Simulations (4)||8%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Final Exam||40%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Research Component (SONA)||2%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.