In this course students are introduced to the concepts and principles of information acquisition, manipulation and management as relevant to organizational decision-making. Experience in the evaluation of information technology applications used in organizations is provided.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe and differentiate various information systems used to manage information
- Summarize the impact of the internet and information technology on business processes and new business models
- Describe how effective information management contributes to competitive advantage, value, creation, and organizational decision making
- Analyze broad ethical and privacy issues related to information and technology
- Define various parts of information technology infrastructure
- Reconize an information need and develop a strategy to acquire the needed information
- Gain a proficiency in basic Excel skills to solve business problems
- Information Systems in Global Business
- E-business and Collaboration
- Information Systems, Organization, and Strategy
- Ethical and Social Issues in Information Systems
- Hardware and Software
- Databases and Information Management
- The Cloud
- Enterprise Applications
- Decision Making and Business Intelligence
- Acquiring Information Systems Through Projects
- Structure, Governance, Security, and Privacy
Prerequisite(s): 4.00 credits
Restriction(s): This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time periods. Please contact the department for more information. Not available to students registered in BCOMP program.
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussions (5)||10%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Quizzes (4)||20%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Excel Assignments (4)||20%||7|
|Simulations (4)||8%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Final Exam||40%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Research Component (SONA)||2%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.