This introductory course is designed to help students develop and achieve their personal goals in financial management.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Assess personal financial situations, prepare relevant financial statements and set meaningful financial goals
- Manage consumer credit, use the financial system to tap into credit sources for housing and other major expenditures
- Avoid consumer credit traps and apply strategies for paying off debts as fast as possible
- Identify insurance needs and manage personal risks with the appropriate choice of insurance and other mechanisms;
- Describe how financial markets and financial securities work and make appropriate selections of savings vehicles, stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- Create a plan to achieve a desirable post-retirement lifestyle
- Use estate planning to meet the needs of dependents and to insure the orderly transfer of assets
- Demonstrate the ability to apply basic calculations for personal financial and investment analysis
- Personal Financial Planning
- Income Tax Strategies
- Banking Services of Financial Institutions
- Consumer Credit
- Finances of Housing
- Estate Planning
Prerequisite(s): 5.00 credits
|Participation in Discussions||16%|
|Financial Planning Assignment||10%|
|Income Tax Assignments||4%|
|Online Final Exam||40%|
Note: You must pass the final exam in order to pass this course.
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use McGraw-Hill Connect. Connect is a digital learning environment administered by McGraw-Hill Education. Visit their website to complete a check that ensures your computer meets the Connect system requirements.
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.