This course introduces students to statutory and common law concerning business and consumer transactions. An overview of the laws of contracts and torts forms the basis of business and producer/consumer relationships. Discussion topics include sale of goods and consumer protection legislation; debtor-creditor relations; competition law; intellectual property rights and manufacturers' product liability.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- describe the structure of the Anglo-Canadian judiciary system and its inter-relationship with the Canadian legislative process
- explain the law of tort and the various legal duties owed in a free and democratic society and various business torts
- describe the law as applicable to the formation, maintenance, and ending of contractual relationships
- Demonstrate understanding of Consumer Protection and Debtor/Creditor laws including Sale of Goods; and Bankruptcy.
- describe the laws applying to employer/employee relations including master and servant, agencies, and the rights and responsibilities of the parties
- describe the types of business organization and the processes, rights, and responsibilities for each
- identify legal considerations affecting personal and intellectual property rights; and understanding real property
- Canadian legal system
- Corporate law
- Tort law
- Agency law
- Employment law
- Contract law
- Legislation in the Marketplace
- Property and intellectual property law
Prerequisite(s): 4.00 credits
Restriction(s): Registration in BCOMM. program, BA:BADM minor, or BA:EURS area of emphasis in European Business Studies. This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time periods. Please contact the department for more information.
|Contract Law "mini-excercise"||5%|
|Small Group Discussions||20%|
|Current Event/Discussion Post (x2)||10%|
|Substantive Content Assignment||20%|
|Online Final Exam||30%|
* Students must pass the Final Exam to pass this online course.
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.