This is an introductory course in the fundamentals of business management in Canada. Students will be exposed to the basic functions of business and management. This course will also cover small business and entrepreneurship, forms of business ownership, competing in the global business environment and the economic and political realities of business in Canada today.
Note: Students registered in the B.Comm program are required to select MGMT*1000 Introduction to Business.
Note: This course may be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Demonstrate general knowledge and understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of business associated with six key functional areas: Accounting, Finance, Operations, Human Resources, Marketing, and Management (General and Strategic).
- Describe the roles of small business and entrepreneurship in job growth and demonstrate general knowledge of the principles of starting a business and analyzing businesses.
- Explain the significance of the macro environment to the success of businesses.
- Demonstrate general knowledge and understanding of the political, economic, social, technological and global environments.
- Display self-management skills by keeping up with and meeting course requirements.
- Analyze and evaluate class concepts with peer learners in discussion forums.
- Analyze and evaluate ethics and socially responsible practices in the workplace through peer discussions.
- Apply course concepts to news as it applies to real world businesses.
- Apply strategic management and other course concepts to your career planning including your vision, goals and objectives.
- Canadian Business Environment – Politics and Economics
- Canadian Business Environment – Social, Technology, and Global Business
- Entrepreneurship, Small Business, and Analyzing the Business
- Human Resources and Marketing
- Operations, Accounting and Finance
Restriction(s): Not available to students in the B.Comm. program.
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussions (9 weeks graded twice x 10%)||30%||1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7|
|Quizzes (4 x 5%)||20%||1,2,4,5|
|Business News Analysis Paper||20%||2,3,4,5,8|
|Online Final Exam||30%||1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
- Zoom as a video communication tool. A Webcam, a microphone to record video, and headphones/speakers to play back the recording are also needed.
Please view the Technical Considerations for each.
*Course details are subject to change.