This course introduces philosophy through an examination of important issues in politics and society, such as punishment, animal rights, discrimination, war and violence, equality and property. These issues may be introduced through contemporary or historical philosophical writings.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Explain the canonical tradition of modern political philosophy in their own words
- Be able to think critically about political philosophy through critical and logical discussion of current events
- Apply course to identify, critically examine and assess social and political issues.
- Support their personal views on current Canadian social and political issues based on critical and analytic skills developed throughout the course
- In the context of Canadian social and political theory, develop a thesis, state an outline, argue for thesis, and conclude by bringing together the insight of what you have learned
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Quizzes (5 @ 10% each)||50%||1-5|
|Essay (Due on the 10th week of the term)||20%||1, 2, 5|
|Online Final exam||30%||1-5|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.