An introduction to astronomy, this course covers the solar system, the sun, stellar and galactic structure.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the construction of the solar system and how its internal motions are the result of simple laws.
- Identify the similarities and differences in the structure of the planets and their satellites and explain some of the things this tells us about the origin of the solar system.
- Understand the constitution of stars, their distances, energy source and evolution.
- Describe how stars are aggregated into galaxies and how the distribution of galaxies and other entities lead to a cosmological view of the nature and evolution of the universe as a whole.
- The planets of the solar system and their motions
- The Sun and the nature of stars
- The distribution of stars and galaxies
- The distribution of galaxies and cosmology
Prerequisite(s): IPS*1500 or [(1 of PHYS*1010, PHYS*1070, PHYS*1080, PHYS*1130, PHYS*1300), (1 of MATH*1030, MATH*1080, MATH*1160, MATH*1200)]
|Online Weekly Quizzes||20%|
|Practical Exercises (3)||20%|
|Midterm Exams (2)||20%|
|Online Final Exam||40%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.