POLS*2250 - Public Administration and Governance
The course explores, from both practical and theoretical perspectives, planning and implementation of programs and services through government departments and agencies and “alternative” processes and structures, sometimes involving non-governmental actors. The course critically evaluates the changing role of bureaucracy; financial and human resource management; and the evolving concepts of responsibility and accountability.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as part of a certificate or diploma program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Understand of the role that the bureaucracy plays in the Canadian system of government;
- Appreciate how various organizational theories have impacted the development of public administration in Canada;
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the organizational forms through which the government delivers a variety of programs and services to the public;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the evolution of New Public Management in Canada and elsewhere;
- Critically examine our system of public administration, particularly with respect to the significant changes ushered in with the advent of the New Public Management paradigm;
- Conduct research using numerous online sources (including government documents, department websites, and online journal articles) to complete a well-researched term paper.
- Use recent news sources to apply and to critically examine the various theories and concepts presented within the course material.
- Theories of Bureaucracy and Public Administration
- Forms of Governmental Organizations
- New Public Management
- Alternate Service Delivery (ASD)
- Public Service Values
- Bureaucracy and the Political Process
- Human Resource Management in the Public Sector
- Financial Management in the Public Sector
- The Future of Public Administration Reform in Canada
Prerequisite(s): 2.00 credits
|Online Final Exam||35%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
- Diploma in Human Resources Management : Electives
- Certificate in Leadership : Electives
- Certificate in Public Policy and Administration : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.