This course, which uses a web-based platform, is an introduction to contemporary art and artists. Lectures will be augmented by studio art assignments and online discussions in order to develop an understanding of material covered in the course. Offered through Distance Education format only.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Analyse concepts surrounding the construction of images, visual language and strategies of representation;
- Critique the visual culture in your immediate environment;
- Analyse the impact of constructed environments on behaviour;
- Explain how technology affects perception; and
- Illustrate a deeper understanding of identity.
- Visual culture
- Viewers make meaning
- Codes of representation
- Science and art
- Art in the global age
|Assignment 1: Constructed Identity||25%|
|Assignment 2: Enigmatic Assemblage||25%|
|Assignment 3: Self-Portrait in Text||30%|
*Course details are subject to change.