The course is designed to give the student knowledge and understanding of contemporary cinematic expression.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Critically analyze the various elements of film, and appropriate apply these critical skills to other texts, as well as in everyday life.
- Analyze films (in components or in whole) using discipline-specific terminology and vocabulary, error free and concisely, in a variety of formats (writing, discussion, etc...).
- Apply the structure and features of proper argumentation in writing or in discussions as it pertains to film analysis.
- Explain the cultural, social, and ideological implications of feature film production, specifically blockbusters, in the context of the contemporary period.
- Analyze the primary technical and aesthetic elements of film production, specifically blockbusters.
- Star Wars
- Back to the Future
- Independence Day
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- The Invisible Man
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussions (4)||20%||2 and 3|
|Mandatory Writing Assignments (4)||60%||2, 3, 5 and 5|
|Final Paper||20%||1, 3, 4 and 5|
|Total||100%||1, 2, 3, 4 and 5|
*Course details are subject to change.