An introduction to the basics of designing and developing a website. It examines the basic concepts, technologies, issues and techniques required to develop and maintain websites. The course is suitable for students with no previous programming experience.
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to successfully design and implement a website
- Define protocols and systems used on the Web (e.g., HTML, HTTP, URLs, CSS)
- Identify and define the technology required to build and implement a website
- Describe artistic and design components that are used in the creation of a website
- Use web coding technologies, such as HTML and CSS
- Design and implement a simple, functioning website using HTML and CSS
- Manage image and text resources and aesthetic aspects of websites
- Introduction to the web
- Design and user experience
- Basic HTML
- Aspects of web design
- Basics of CSS
- Website design elements (page layout, storytelling, web typography, website scrolling patterns, etc.)
- Intermediate HTML (tables, advanced lists, blocks and layout, metadata, videos)
- Web publishing and e-commerce
- Intermediate CSS (lists, display, float, inline blocks, etc.)
- The mobile web
|Website Design & HTML (with peer review)||20%|
|HTML & CSS Website (with peer review)||35%|
|Online Final exam||25%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.