While individual privacy and the security of personal information are increasingly important in our society, the news is filled with stories of privacy breaches and how our data is being accessed and used. Organizations are increasingly faced with challenges surrounding the management and security of the information they collect and use.
Gain an overview of the fundamentals of records and information management; the privacy legislation that informs how personal information may be collected, used, shared, and accessed; and leading practices for handling a privacy breach.
While more broadly applicable, the course utilizes examples from the school board and municipal environments. You are invited to apply your knowledge and experience while engaging in the learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Interpret and apply provincial access and privacy legislation
- Process requests for access to information, apply exemptions to disclosure, and determine records eligible for disclosure
- Define an effective Records Information Management (RIM) program
- Understand the relationship between records management and access and privacy legislation
- Define the components of a privacy breach protocol
- Identify and understand the risks or implications of non-compliance
- Access and Privacy (A&P)
- Processing requests
- Practical Application of Commonly Used Exemptions
- Identify Theft
- Privacy impact assessments
- Privacy Breaches and Responses
- Privacy Complaints
- Records and Information Management (RIM)
- Components of a RIM Program
- RIM and Ethics
- RIM and Access and Privacy Connections
Job Market Overview
|Group Assignment 1: Freedom of Information (FOI) Request Processing||15%|
|Group Assignment 2: Records Information Management (RIM) Orientation||15%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Disability Management : Electives
- Certificate in Human Resources Management for School Board Administration : Electives
- Certificate in Information and Communication Technology Management : Required Courses
- Certificate in Information Management, Privacy, and Access : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.