The course introduces students to public policy, including the differences between applied and explanatory policy analyses, within the larger context of politics and government. Case studies of different policy areas are used to illustrate the challenges of developing, implementing, and explaining policy in various (and often interrelated) contexts from the local to the global.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe how public policy studies fits within the field of political science;
- Describe how public policy fits within the broader system of government (legislative, executive, judicial branches) and politics (ideology, public opinion, parties and elections, interest group mobilization, etc.);
- Select and apply theoretical approaches to policy problems and selected case studies using critical analysis;
- Locate and analyze policy information from source documents and secondary literature;
- Identify different challenges that policy issues pose to different actors (local, provincial, national, international); and
- Distinguish between a more applied policy brief and a more theoretical policy analysis and identify the main arguments for each type of analysis.
- Introduction to Public Policy
- Public Policy Context
- Public Policy Theories
- Public Policy Agenda
- Decision-Making Process
- Implementation Process
- Public Policy Evaluation
- Indigenous Policy
- Environmental Policy
- Social Policy
- Drug Policy
Pre-requisite(s): 2.00 credits
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussions||25%||1, 2, and 3|
|3 Quizzes||30%||1, 2, and 3|
|Policy Critique OR Memorandum to Cabinet||20%||4, 5, and 6|
|Final Exam||25%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6|
|Total||100%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Public Policy and Administration : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.