This course is designed to help students develop critical managerial skills such as self-awareness, managing conflict and stress, communicating effectively, and interviewing.
- Explore the concepts, principles, and research findings related to managerial and leadership competencies;
- Describe the role of managerial and leadership competencies in fostering individual, group and organizational success;
- Analyze and evaluate information about managerial and leadership competencies;
- Diagnose work situations in which specific managerial and leadership competencies might prove beneficial and demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge of such competencies to foster individual, group and/or organizational effectiveness;
- Implement managerial and leadership skills more effectively than before the course was taken; and
- Exercise the professionalism and commitment to excellence that is characteristic of the best managers and leaders.
- Introduction to leadership competencies and skills
- Understanding oneself and self-reflection
- Developing teams and maximizing teamwork
- Effective and meaningful communication practices
- Managing conflict and difficult situations
- Fostering well-being and managing stress
- Manifesting our motivation
- Problem analysis and solution generation
- Leveraging power and influence appropriately
- Building engagement through empowerment
- Enacting positive change leadership
- Continual learning and self-development
Pre-Requisite(s): 9.00 credits including (HROB*2090 or HROB*2100)
Restriction(s): This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time periods.
|Self-assessment & Development Reports||30%|
|Leadership Coaching Group Project||35%|
|Online Final Exam||25%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use MyLab, a web-based tool created by Pearson Education. Visit their website to complete a check that ensures your computer meets the MyLab system requirements.
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate both an online midterm and online final exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, students must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.