This course is designed to help students develop critical managerial skills such as self-awareness, managing conflict and stress, communicating effectively, and decision making.
- Explore the concepts, principles, and research findings related to managerial and leadership competencies;
- Describe the role of managerial and leadership competencies in fostering individual, group and organizational success;
- Analyze and evaluate information about managerial and leadership competencies;
- Diagnose work situations in which specific managerial and leadership competencies might prove beneficial and demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge of such competencies to foster individual, group and/or organizational effectiveness;
- Implement managerial and leadership skills more effectively than before the course was taken; and
- Exercise the professionalism and commitment to excellence that is characteristic of the best managers and leaders.
- Introduction to leadership competencies and skills
- Understanding oneself and self-reflection
- Developing teams and maximizing teamwork
- Effective and meaningful communication practices
- Managing conflict and difficult situations
- Fostering well-being and managing stress
- Manifesting our motivation
- Problem analysis and solution generation
- Leveraging power and influence appropriately
- Building engagement through empowerment
- Enacting positive change leadership
- Continual learning and self-development
Pre-Requisite(s): 9.00 credits including (HROB*2090 or HROB*2100)
Restriction(s): This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time periods.
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Quizzes (5 x 2%)||10%||1, 3, 4|
|Self-Assessment & Development Reports (2 x 20%)||40%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Leadership Coaching Group Project||30%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Online Final Exam||20%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
*Course details are subject to change.